Sunday, April 25, 2010

Good beer: Irish and American style

I have a friend who often asks me "how's you're drinking?". I've never heard it put that way before, but I understand what he is trying to say.

Any student of theology and certainly anyone of the Celtic persuasion understands that drinking and theology go together like fish and chips. I often recall going out with the boys for a few pints at the end of the day, and talking about theology and other serious matters that came up in seminary class that day.

We are fortunate that we live during a time where there are so many good drinking beers available. Even though I live in Hawaii, it's easy for me to purchase some great beers, both Irish and American. My favorite beers include Murphy's (when I can get it) Guinness, Harp, Samuel Adams, and Gordon Biersch lager.And make no mistake, American beer is as good as any in the world.  I like smooth, creamy beers and for my taste, nothing tastes better than a Guinness of Sammy's from the tap.

I was somewhat spoiled I guess living in Britain, where I was introduced to many fine beers. Drinking is  engrained into the culture. I remember one ocassion clearly when I was at an Irish bar in London. At the bar, there were a dozen pints of Guinness that the barman was constantly topping off. I went up to him and asked him what he was doing. He replied in a thick Irish accent, "I'm letting the beer breathe". What a great image-the beer breathing as if it were alive! That image has stuck with me through the years and underlines the seriousness of which many of the Celtic persuasion have when it comes to drinking a good beer.

Good beers are works of art, and something to be enjoyed. Go have a cold one! And drink responsibly!

No comments:

Post a Comment